Monday, October 17, 2005

Beaches meets Face/Off. WHAT??

The Last of the Mohicans is a quality film and is an amazing mix between ruthless, gaudy, overdone action and violence and historical context. If the entire film was based around satisfying those two aspects for the full 117 minutes, then I would be perfectly fine with the film. However, despite the barrage of blood and guts and gore, something did not sit right with me after watching this film. How can a film have both the violence of an action film and the love story of a romantic tragedy? I understand that this started as a novel, but that is no excuse. Although this aspect of the film does draw both men and women to the theatres, it is not a new or innovative storytelling technique. This is the same reason why I didn’t like Titanic. Although I stated previously that I did like some of Titanic, the reason why all of it didn’t sit well with me was because the story tried to incorporate two distinctly different plot lines and make them coexist. If you are going to make a bloody action film, make a bloody action film, like Face/Off. If you want to write a romantic tragedy, write something along the lines of Beaches. However, and this is a huge “however” do not try to combine Face/Off and Beaches. I do not want to see Bette Midler and Nicholas Cage “dance” with each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home