Monday, October 31, 2005

What about the right foot?

After seeing that Jim Sheridan decided to direct the new 50 Cent flick Get Rich or Die Tryin’ I realized people will do almost anything for money or 50 Cent. I knew I had heard the name somewhere and looking back through my steno book I found it under the My Left Foot section. This was a quality film. Again, it is even better because it is a true story. The plot is very interesting and very inspiring. The story almost makes you question your own value and your own self-worth. Christi Brown (Daniel Day Louis) could do all these amazing things like paint and write an entire book with just one foot. I have a fully functioning body and I am an awful painter and would love to see the day when I published a novel. However, like most people who are presented with the steepest road in life, Christi triumphed through adversity and became famous after being born with cerebral palsy to a poor Irish family. The only real qualms I had with the film was that this storyline has been done way too many times: Boy is disabled, boy struggles with himself and others, boy channels his frustration into alternative outlets, and boy becomes famous and proves everyone wrong. It is a very nice story but it is also a very easy one. It doesn’t take much real storytelling besides the actual script. Cinematography is not greatly needed. All Sheridan had to do was step back and film the story which is fairly simple when you have a great cast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home