Sunday, November 06, 2005

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

We started Groundhog Day yesterday. I don’t really need to write that considering the only person who is actually going to read this is either in my class or the teacher. Anyway we did start watching it. I, having every possible movie channel that cable offers, have seen this great film at least seven times. The one thing I realized, while watching the beginning of the film, was that I had never actually seen the very beginning of the film. I always picked up the film in the same spot – when Phil Connors (Bill Murray) is sitting in the diner with a table full of food. Is that a coincidence that I always pick up a film about doing the same thing over and over again in the same place over and over again? Call it a stretch call it a coincidence, call it whatever you want. I call it divine justice, in a completely secular way. Anyway, after seeing the first few minutes of the film which I had always successfully missed really added to the story I had known so well. Those first establishing minutes add a lot to the character of Phil Connors. I always assumed that Phil was just unhappy. I didn’t realize that he was a complete jerk, for lack of a more graphic word. Those first scenes provided me with such insight into the cynical, sarcastic head of Phil Connors – from his impersonation of Rita (Andie MacDowell) as a groundhog to him flipping off the camera. All his antics and one-liners full of biting sarcasm paint a beautiful picture of a cold, angry man. Now I know what Phil was like pre-groundhog day. Now I can live in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home